Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Thursday, December 27, 2018

My Year in Writing 2018

It's been quite a year.


My debut novel Belle of the Back Streets was published in hardback and ebook and made its way to No. 2 in the Sunderland Waterstones chart.


I've also been published weekly in The People's Friend magazine where my weekly soap opera Riverside continues its fun and friendly run.

And there's been more, too...


I was one of 16 winners in a short story competition organized by Fahrenheit Press for my story The Canary Islands Crime Boss, and published in crime anthology Noirville: Tales from the Dark Side



One of 10 winners in the Ryedale Book Festival for my short story inspired by Donald Trump - called The Wall and published in 10 Short Stories anthology


One of 16 winners in the Olga Sinclair Short Story Competition (Norwich Writers Circle) with my short story The Caller and published in an anthology called Strangers


Won third prize in Doris Gooderson Short Story Competition (Wrekin Writers) for my short story The Circus of Delight. The story is published online.



Shortlisted and commended in the Dorset Fiction Award for my short story A Dog Called Trevor


Short comedy sketch The Interview performed by Cranked Anvil theatre group at the Rehearsed Reading Night at The Peacock, Sunderland


Shortlisted in the Ruth Rendell Short Story Competition, organised by Interact Stroke Support


Longlisted in Sunderland Short Story Award for my short story Bonny Bits


Two short stories published in My Weekly Annual 2019 and one short story published in The People’s Friend Annual 2019

In addition, I had 19 short stories published in women's magazines during 2018.

And I also gave some talks - talk about feeling the fear and doing it anyway!

  • Talk at The Word in South Shields on Belle of the Back Streets
  • Talk at Ryhope Heritage Society on Belle of the Back Streets
  • Two talks as part of Sunderland Libraries Literature Festival (Houghton and Sunderland libraries) on Belle of the Back Streets
  • Talk at Sunderland Creative Writing Festival on writing short stories for women's magazines.
  • Talk to Scarborough Writers Circle 

And as for 2019?

There's a lot in the pipeline.

Belle of the Back Streets is released in paperback in March and my second novel The Tuppenny Child is released in hardback and ebook in May.




Debut novel Belle of the Back Streets
Now out in hardback and e-book 


Kindle e-book just 99p until January 1st 2019 

Website: glendayoungbooks.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...