Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Sunday, June 21, 2020

A Writer's Life: Sitting down in Lockdown


Strange times, eh?

Just a couple of weeks into lockdown, I was sitting in our garden thinking how quiet the world was without traffic. How peaceful. Then I stood up from where I was sitting and twisted my ankle. As my brain scrambled to make sense of what was happening, I did what I realise now was absolutely stupid and pathetic but at the time seemed to make sense. I put the foot that I'd just twisted back onto the ground to steady myself, and went over on it again. Yup, twice-sprained in a couple of seconds.

My foot swelled up, it hurt, and when it wouldn't improve after a week of (NHS111 recommended) rest, ice, compression and elevation, I was advised to go to the fracture clinic at the local hospital. The good news is my ankle wasn't broken. The bad news is that it was a soft tissue injury that turned my foot black and blue. I was sent home from hospital, given a moonboot to walk in (not a good look) and instructions to rest.

I'm not the sort of person who rests. I'm a do-er. I like being up and about, walking, cycling. Instead, I've been pinned to the sofa. And so I've made the most of each minute of enforced sit-down in lockdown by writing every single day.

Last night I took stock of all that I've done during this strange time. And in no particular order, here it is.  I was surprised when I wrote it all down, there's so much I've done. I tend to take my skills for granted. Well, it's time I shouted about my achievements. I know from experience that if I don't do it, no-one else will. I think I might have to sit down more often. Preferably not with a bad foot.

If you'd like to know more, simply click on the links.
Away from writing, I also did some of this:
  • Set up a crazy golf course in garden (before I hurt my foot)
  • Made some art for Grayson Perry's art club on Channel 4
  • Read a lot of books
  • Watched some excellent films
  • Watched some awful films
And until my foot recovers completely, I'll be continuing with daily chair-based yoga followed by chair-based cardio exercise every afternoon.

Here's to what the future may bring. I have a feeling interesting times might lie ahead.

__

Glenda Young
Author of historical novels with Headline
Twitter: @Flaming_Nora
Facebook: GlendaYoungAuthor

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...