Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Friday, September 29, 2023

The Dainty Dinah of Andalucia, a sweet coincidence

I'm taking a holiday in Andalucia Spain after months of researching the history of female factory workers in a sweets factory. This is for my trilogy of novels The Toffee Factory Girls, the first will be published by Headline next year. 



Imagine my surprise on holiday to walk into a cafe called La Antequerana, only to find it was once a sweet-making factory.  Pictures on the walls celebrate the heritage of the women who worked there. This was at exactly the same time as I've been researching.


La Antequerana is a wonderful place and well worth a visit if you're ever in the lovely Spanish town of Antequera.


This beautiful señora below adorns the tins and boxes of sweets, just as the image of Dainty Dinah adorns the tins of toffees I'm writing about in my Toffee Factory Girls trilogy. 

These books are inspired by the old Dainty Dinah brand and the now demolished Horner's toffee factory in Chester le Street, County Durham.


We ate breakfast and enjoyed ice creams at La Antequera, you must try the Malaga Pasas!



What a wonderful, sweet coincidence this was!

__

Glenda Young

Twitter: @Flaming_Nora

Facebook: GlendaYoungAuthor

Website: GlendaYoungBooks.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...