Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Saturday, March 05, 2022

My recipe for 12 perfect apple cup cakes


Later this year, I have a Christmas novel being published by Headline. 

It's called A Mother's Christmas Wish and you can find out all about it here.

In the book there is an unusual theme of apple cake which runs through the story. 

All the while I was writing the book, I could almost smell apple cakes baking in a coal-fired oven. 

In fact, I became so entranced by the notion of making an apple cake that I’ve decided to include a recipe in the book.
 
The recipe is a modern take on the apple cake featured in my book and it’s for 12 cup cakes. 

They’re very easy to make and I can confirm, absolutely delicious!  
 
Apple cup cakes
Makes 12

You will need 12 paper muffin cases 

You can buy muffin cases from supermarkets

INGREDIENTS

The ingredients don't cost too much

2 medium sized apples of your choice. You can use cooking apples or eating apples, whichever you prefer
5oz (150g) light brown sugar
5oz (150g) butter (well-softened)
6oz (175g) self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 eggs

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat oven to gas mark 6 (200oC / 400oF)
2. Line a 12 section muffin tray with paper muffin cases
3. Line a baking tray with tin foil
4. Peel and core the apples then chop them up into really small pieces
5. Scatter the apple pieces on the tin foil on the baking tray
6. Bake for 20 minutes until tender and beginning to darken around the edges then remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly

I'm not the most elegant baker, and so my apple pieces were quite large.

7. Reduce the oven to gas mark 4 (180oC / 350oF)
8. In a bowl, put the sugar, butter, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and eggs
9. Mix until combined using an electric hand mixer if you have one. If not, beat the heck out of it with a wooden spoon until light and creamy
10. Divide the cake mixture evenly between the muffin cases, layering the apple pieces in as you go

Here are my apple cakes ready to go into the oven

11. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and risen
12. Transfer to a wire rack to cool
13. Enjoy!

Apple cakes fresh out of the oven - delicious!

A Mother's Christmas Wish is published by Headline in ebook, hardback and audiobook on August 18 2022. It is published in paperback on October 13 2022. Pre-order it now.
__

Glenda Young

Twitter: @Flaming_Nora

Facebook: GlendaYoungAuthor

Website: GlendaYoungBooks.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...