Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Friday, October 15, 2021

Front page news bringing history and heritage to life - my writing week


This week I've made a tentative start on researching my next saga set in the northeast coalmining village of Ryhope in 1919.  

I've drawn up a plan of research and will dedicate myself properly to it over the next few weeks before I write up the research, make chapter plans and then (gulp!) begin to write. It's a nerve-wracking time, but exciting too. I love researching my sagas, it's my most favourite part of the whole process. And because I enjoy it so much, I have to be careful not to lose myself in the research and spend too much time researching when I really should be writing.

Today, I bought a silver sixpence from 1919 while researching. It's not every day I buy a silver sixpence from the era to help with research. I could have looked at pictures to help, but needed to feel this particular coin in my hand. Someone's life depends on it. 
It's less than two weeks before the paperback release of my saga The Miner's Lass. I've stared a daily countdown to the event on October 28th, releasing pictures from my research to my social media on Facebook and Twitter each day. Come and join me if you like historical images that show the inspiration for author's works. Here's a picture of Ryhope co-operative store, which features heavily in the book.

Now then, my dad used to read the Sunderland Echo from cover to cover. It took him a couple of hours then he'd throw it on the floor and moan "There's nowt in it!" and we'd laugh at him... every single day. Well dad, this week there was front page news that you would have loved to read.  You can read the full article here.



And this is rather exciting. I can reveal that I've been writing a Christmas saga set in the 1920s in the northeast pit village of Ryhope where all my sagas are set. The book will be released in ebook and hardback in August next year, 2022.  The paperback will be out in time for Christmas 2022.  The book is called A Mother's Christmas Wish and you can pre-order it now!  It's here.


I was interviewed today on BBC Radio Tees about this upcoming Coronation Street storyline.  And I managed to get in a lovely little mention (thank you Radio Tees!) of my debut cosy crime set in Scarborough, starring 12 Elvis impersonators (Twelvis!) Murder at the Seaview Hotel. You can listen to me here at 3 hours and 39 minutes.
_

I was interviewed by author Theresa Van Meter for her blog and you can read it here.


Received a wonderful surprise when I found out I was nominated in the VCAS 20/20 Open Arms Awards for 2021.  I'm in the category of Community Culture and Arts, which is wonderful.  However, I have no idea who nominated me for this award. Was it you, reading this? If so, thank you from the bottom of my heart. I can only imagine I've been nominated for this award because of the many donations of my books I've made during lockdown 2020 up to the present day.  The books have been donated in large numbers, to Ryhope Community Centre for distribution around the village with afternoon teas to those self-isolating.  I also regularly donate books to two local community libraries. During lockdown 2020 I also donated books to the local NHS and donated profits from sales of my books to national NHS. I also donate books to Saint Paul's church in Ryhope for their summer and Christmas Fayres and to their parish shop.  This nomination is a wonderful recognition of all of my time, effort and book donations, thank you so much.


And the draw to find the winner who will have a character named after them in my second cosy crime set in Scarborough, Curtain Call at the Seaview Hotel has been revealed. Here's the video where assistance dog Bella chose the winner.


I crafted another episode of my weekly soap opera Riverside for The People's Friend magazine. I've been writing Riverside weekly since 2016 and you can find out all about it here.


I also kept the Coronation Street Blog ticking over with news and editing the team of 16 bloggers. 


See you next week!

__

Glenda Young

Twitter: @Flaming_Nora

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...