Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Thursday, August 05, 2021

Like a kid on Christmas Day - What a writer really gets up to on publication day


Thursday 5 August 2021 is publication day for my debut cosy crime novel, Murder at the Seaview Hotel. It's now available in ebook, hardback and audio, published by Headline, and in paperback in November 2021.

​What's it about? When a troupe of 12 Elvis impersonators (Twelvis) arrive for an Elvis convention in Scarborough, one of them is found dead and his blue suede shoes are stolen. B&B landlady Helen Dexter and her rescue greyhound Suki are on the case to uncover the killer.


So what exactly does a writer get up to on publication day? 

Well, here's how it played out for me...

Woke at 5am like a kid on Christmas morning. Social media was abuzz and I felt loved. Ate breakfast. Read amazing reviews and congratulatory emails. Showered with a smile. Went for early morning walk along the beach and filled a full bin-bag with plastic washed up on the strandline. Felt virtuous. Read an interview I did for Shots Blog. Felt professional. Treated myself to mid-morning snack of hot buttered crumpets, threw in smoked salmon, just because. Felt on top of the world. Cleaned the bathroom, well, it was Thursday and Thursday is bathroom cleaning day. Brought myself down to earth. Walked to the post office to send review copies and complimentary copies of the book to those who helped with research or are helping me with publicity. Yes, I have to do all of this myself. Reality checked myself. Returned home to find social media still abuzz. Ate lunch, nothing special, just a sandwich. Changed into decent clothes, put some make-up on, brushed my hair. For third time today, left the house. This time I joined readers of my books for a garden party - purely coincidental this was held on publication day. Felt a bit anxious as I don't know them and I'm not good in groups. Took three of my saga novels to give away in a raffle. Needn't have worried, everyone was lovely. Sat next to my cousin I haven't seen in 12 years. Talked a lot. Ate cake, drank tea, had a smashing time, signed raffle winners' books. Returned home to find a bouquet delivered from my publisher, Headline. Read a blog post I wrote for Bookish Jottings. Felt a bit bloody special. Worn out.

__

Glenda Young


Twitter: @Flaming_Nora

Facebook: GlendaYoungAuthor

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...