Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Monday, October 26, 2020

An audio-visual tour of Ryhope, the village where my novels are set


I was asked last week by a reader for a pictorial tour of Ryhope to show fans where the locations in my novels are. Well, there's already a map in the front of all of my books, historically accurate too. But a pictorial tour? I have to admit it's something I'd love to do, but I simply don't have the time, which is unfortunate. However, it's because I'm too busy writing, which is great!

However, I do often post old pictures of Ryhope here on this blog and if you scroll back through old posts you'll find many, many posts of pictures of old Ryhope and new Ryhope, and of locations I use in my books.

But there are also more ways you can find out about old Ryhope.

There's a fantastic TV documentary on Ryhope pitmen and pigeons. Two old friends and rival pigeon racers are preparing for the big race of the season. Set in Ryhope where Maurice's allotment is home to the world's only listed pigeon cree, the ageing miners embark on what could be their last season together. Jackie and Maurice face the challenges of old age, ill health and a continuing battle with land developers as they prepare for the most prestigious race of the year, where their pigeons will fly five hundred and sixty miles from Bourges in France. The film follows the men's emotional journey as things don't work out quite as expected. 


There's a book called Ryhope and Silksworth with lots of old photos.


And if you'd like an audio tour of Ryhope where I talk to podcasters Speak up Sunderland about the locations used in my book, it's below.   I start speaking at 5 minutes in.


__

Glenda Young
Author of historical novels with Headline
Twitter: @Flaming_Nora
Facebook: GlendaYoungAuthor

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...