Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Monday, December 02, 2019

Researching my novels in Ryhope pubs


Researching my novels set in Ryhope in 1919 means spending a lot of time looking at old maps, plans, walking the village and trying to place where long-gone buildings once stoood. And it also means researching Ryhope pubs.  It's a tough job but someone's got to do it.

My novels and the Ryhope pubs they're set in are as follows:


Belle of the Back Streets is set around the Albion Inn.


The Tuppenny Child is set around the Railway Inn and The Forester's Arms


Pearl of Pit Lane is set around The Colliery Inn (now called The Top House as it's the last pub at the top of the colliery).


My next novel The Girl with the Scarlet Ribbon (cover to be revealed) takes a break from the pubs and features instead the houses in Church Ward behind St. Paul's church.

And for the fifth novel, which I'm writing now - The Paper Mill Girl - we're back to pub territory with this book set in The Guide Post Inn.

I haven't yet decided where I'll set my sixth book - Rose of Miners Row. Time will tell in a few months time when I start researching this one next year.


I've written an article on the subject for the Sunderland and South Tyneside CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) winter newsletter. 

You can pick the newsletters up free from any pub in the area that sells real ale and you can download it here and find out more at Ken's beer blog.


__

Glenda Young

Twitter: @Flaming_Nora
Facebook: GlendaYoungAuthor

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...