Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Monday, June 13, 2022

Will men enjoy reading my novels? Clue: Yes


At one of my recent author talks, many in the group had read my books and some  hadn't. The group was made up of mainly ladies and there were two men... and both men asked me the same question. 

"I'm a man, will I enjoy your books?"

The answer is of course, yes.

While the books are in the saga genre, traditionally marketed to women, there's no reason at all why the stories I write can't appeal to both men and women. They're strong stories, dramatic, with fantastic characters - men and women - who leap off the page to stake their claim in your thoughts, your heart.

Here are some snippets from Amazon reviews which have been posted by men, which I hope you might enjoy reading.  

Martin the Manc. 5 stars: "As a middle-aged man, I am possibly not the typical reader either the author or the publishers had in mind for this saga of life in a Sunderland village around a century ago. But Glenda Young's debut novel is so well-written and her characters so sharply drawn that within a few pages I was easily drawn into the tale of Meg, who inherits her father's rag and bone business after his untimely death. The story is pure Catherine Cookson - which should be read as a compliment - and immaculately researched. But the plot is never weighed down with too much detail and the tale rattles along faster than an old-style tram. All told, this is a tremendously assured debut and already seems to proving popular both locally and further afield."

Ryan Oxley. 5 stars. "Strong in character, narrative, and a wonderful saga telling the story of Meg, a young girl growing up in gritty Ryhope circa the 1920s. I've never been to Ryhope (only once to Sunderland), yet the descriptive prose gives the reader real imagery and its easy to envisage what life was like in the village then and now. A likeable array of characters are entwined in Meg's story, tinged with sadness and the struggle of the working classes in the industrial north, its also sharp, tough, and a great 'ending'. I look forward to reading the next chapter. A fantastic debut!!"

J.P. Green. 5 stars. "Glenda Young's first novel is a real literary treat and an unexpected delight on a personal level too. This was my first foray into the realm of historical drama/romance (a far cry from my usual taste in fiction - horror, SF, etc) and if I'm honest I'd built a wall of resistance against this genre and had preconceived notions of what to expect from it. Thankfully I soon left all prejudices behind as Young drew me into a well drawn, evocatively realised world of Sunderland in the early part of the twentieth century. Her ability to create a very real world is only matched by her skill at creating characters you genuinely feel for in such a short time. My earlier mentioned (hardened) defences against 'this sort of book' were quickly broken down and I genuinely felt for our hero and her journey. I read the bulk of the book over one evening and one early morning, eager as I was to find out how things would turn out. It's a book of high drama and multiple incidents, but is not without it's humour and indeed heart. The characters are well drawn and most importantly Young provides an emotional bond through her writing - whether it's sharing their tragedies, celebrating their victories or just hoping the villains get their comeuppance, you are drawn into their world and their lives completely. In Meg we have a fully realised and strong character, not simply a damsel in distress who is at the mercy of bad men. She is an intelligent, resourceful and resilient figure (not without here flaws) and one you can't help rooting for. By the end of the novel I genuinely hoped that the follow-up novel would continue her story (and those around her). Perhaps she'll crop up (Ryhope isn't that large a village). Highly recommended - even to someone who's usual literary fair revolves around vampires and supernatural menace!"

Martyn & Stephen. 5 stars (Belle of the Back Streets). Not often a story touches you with such gentle but firm hands . Draws you into the past with such clarity. After reading I had to buy the audio book read so beautifully. If this is the authors first novel I can’t wait to see what she does next .. I smell a tv series approaching fast , and I for one can’t wait ..

Martyn & Stephen. 5 stars. (The Tuppenny Child). 5 stars: This is NOT the sort of book I would normally read !! Late forty’s gay married, Uber foodie used to live in Shoreditch when it was really cool .. after reading Glenda's first novel and blummin loved it ! Who knew ! I preordered this little beauty and boom into my kindle it flew on release day ! And there it sat !! Until today and cut to a few hours later ... I couldn’t stop reading .. the chapters passed and the characters grew and became flesh in my head .. what a gripping writer, pure passion for her world on every page !! Thank you for the words Glenda Young .. I look forward to hearing it on audible...

Steven Murphy. 5 stars. "This is a wonderful read, full of rich characters, evocative description and a touch of romance, all against the tough background of a mining village. I read it over one weekend, and was engrossed from beginning to end. A wonderful debut and I can't ait to read Glenda's next novel."

Dave Dutton. 5 stars. "I come from a similar former mining community such as the one in which this story has its setting and can identify with a lot of the background. The way that Glenda skilfully weaves dialogue and plot is very cinematic inasmuch as you can virtually see it all being performed in front of your eyes. There’s lots of goodies and baddies to cheer and hiss and you’ll want to keep turning the page to find out what happens next. You will feel like you know everybody in the small mining community once you have finished the book."

David Part. 5 stars. "...can't wait for the next book"

Alan Charlton. 5 stars. "Could not put it down once I started reading "

Peter Hardy. 5 stars"...started to really enjoy the book and will read others from the same author"

Edward Keogh: 5 stars. "Great story" and "1st class writer, looking forward to more books of hers"

Dennis: 5 stars. "First time I have read from this Author, but it is a book that holds you"

Anthony Crane. 5 stars. "Nice story"

Trevor Wade. 5 stars..: "Just enjoyed reading it"

Mr A Bradford. 5 stars. "You can't put this book down it's so good she keeps you interested all the way through the book"

So there we have it.

"I'm a man, will I enjoy your books?"

Yes. Oh yes, yes, yes.  You can order direct from me and I'll sign them, or order online from Amazon, etc and the books are available in Waterstones, WHSmiths etc.
__

Glenda Young
Twitter: @Flaming_Nora
Facebook: GlendaYoungAuthor

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...