Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Monday, October 28, 2019

My stint as a finalist, Clement & La Frenais comedy award 2019


Yesterday was a very special day. Sunday October 27th saw the Sketch for Sammy show at the Exchange Theatre in North Shields. I was there as a finalist, one of six whose comedy sketches had been chosen to be performed from all of those who entered. 


The theatre  began to fill up. North-east celebrities were spotted at the bar. 'Is that him off the telly?' we whispered. Oh yes, indeed it was. 

It's not false modesty to say that I never expected to win. I was gobsmacked at being shortlisted so winning was never on my mind. Well, okay, perhaps I allowed myself a moment when I thought it might be possible. But just a moment.

That moment disappeared the instant that the first of the six shortlisted plays were performed. And then the second. It was clear that there was real comedy writers in the room, and I knew I wasn't one of them. But hey, I'd been shortlisted, so there must've been some merit to my sketch and I know I shouldn't do myself down. 

All of the shortlisted sketches had been honed by TV comedian Jason Cook who gave us advice on making them even more funny than they were at the start. Taking Jason's advice, I beefed up my script to give the main character, Megan, a more pyschotic edge. And we're talking bat-nut-loopy.

My sketch was third to be performed in the show. Nessa Karon came onto the stage as my Megan and kicked the sketch into orbit. She was phenomenal as super-crazy-lady Megan, being interviewed for a new job.


"Aye-aye captain!" Megan greets her interviewers.


"I'm going to fly, Roger! Fly!" Megan gets the job.


The cast of my sketch having a giggle on stage.


After all six sketches had been performed, it was time for the judging to begin. The judges, pictured above, were TV actor Tim Healey, and TV writers Kim Tserkezie and Elliott Kerrigan! The show was hosted by TV comedian and writer Jason Cook and there were also some stand-up comedians and other comedy sketches peformed. It was a giggle of an afternoon that I really enjoyed.

And then the judges' decision came in.  All of the writers were asked up to the stage. You'll notice there are seven of us standing there but that's because one sketch was written by two writers. I'm the one in the orange shirt.  The awards were given out... 


... and the winner was Ian McCormick, who won the award for the second year running, with a very funny, tight sketch that was the first to be performed. A worthy winner. Ian's sketch will be included in the Sunday for Sammy show that takes place next year.


It truly was a day I'll never forget and I am honoured and proud to have been part of it. 
__

Glenda Young
Twitter: @Flaming_Nora
Facebook: GlendaYoungAuthor

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...