Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

My opening speech at Heritage Open Days 2019


Last night I stood up in front of people, gave a speech and didn't fall down. I'd call that a result.

I also managed to get a few laughs out of the audience, which was great. I'm still buzzing from it all this morning and can't quite believe this shy, retiring author was being applauded and given flowers last night.

But the pictures are there, so it must be true.



I was speaking at a fantastic centre called The Land of Oak and Iron, which is just beside the Metrocentre shopping centre in Gateshead. And I'd been invited to give the welcome speech at the official opening of Tyne and Wear Heritage Open Days 2019.  What an honour it was. 

I've long been a fan of Heritage Open Days, as regular readers of my blog will know. I think it's the writer in me - you have to be nosy to be a writer, you have to want to know what goes on in buildings you're not normally allowed to go inside. You have to want to know about the people, the places, the history, the stories. 

To be asked to give the opening speech, well, I can't quite put it into words. I've never felt so nervous but also have never felt so proud and honoured too. Thank you to everyone involved. It was a night I will never forget.

Find out all about this year's Tyne and Wear Heritage Open Days. 

__
Glenda Young
Twitter: @Flaming_Nora
Facebook: GlendaYoungAuthor

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...