Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Friday, October 26, 2018

My Writing Week: Three talks, a story and one splash in the sea


This has been a wonderful writing week. 

As part of Sunderland Libraries Literature Festival I was invited to give two talks at north-east libraries. The first talk, last week, was at Houghton Library where five people turned up in the audience (and I only knew four of them!).  

The second talk, this week, was at Sunderland City Library in the Sunderland Museum & Winter Gardens.  I had seven in the audience, clearly word of my, er, prowess at public speaking had spread. 

And then to my favourite seaside town of Scarborough where I'd been invited to give a talk to Scarborough Writers Circle.  Was I nervous? Oh yes. Was I excited? Too much.  Scarborough is a very special place to me and you can find out more here.

There were 15 or so in the group and it was fantastic to speak to fellow writers, to people who know that gnawing anxiety of not-writing and what it feels like. The feedback I've received from this talk has been tremendous, it even included words like 'inspiring', 'funny' and 'warm'.  I worry they might have me mixed up with someone else. But it was a great night, and I'm pleased beyond words that I braved my fear of public speaking and said 'yes' to this request.

And that splash in the sea? It came from my three-year-old great niece, Grace, to whom my debut novel Belle of the Back Streets is dedicated.  Grace's mum brought her to Scarborough and they stayed overnight, and of course we went paddling in the sea.

The short story this week came courtesy of My Weekly magazine who published my Hallowe'en story set around the haunting of an 80s tribute gig. You can read more on that here.

I wonder what next week will bring?  


Find out more about me and my books at: Glenda Young Books

I'm on Twitter @flaming_nora and Instagram @flaming_nora

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...