Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Monday, September 04, 2017

G is for Glenda


“And this is Linda.”
“Glenda.”
“Sorry, this is Brenda.”
“It’s Glenda.”
“Sorry… did you say Glenys?”
“It’s Glenda. As in, you know, Glenda Jackson.”
“Oh, I liked her. She was in Downtown Abbey, wasn’t she?”
“No. She was a classical actress, done loads of films and stage plays. She’s an MP now I think. Anyway, my name’s Glenda. G. L. E. N. D. A.”
“God, I’m sorry, I thought you said Linda. And then I thought I heard Brenda.”
“It’s OK, I get it all the time.”
“Bit unusual, isn’t it?”
“Not really, no. Not to me, anyway. But lots of people get it wrong.”
“It’s not a name you hear every day.”
“Suppose not. There was a Glenda in Eastenders once.
“Eastender Glenda, that’s got a ring to it. I like that.”
“I don’t watch Eastenders though.”
“Me neither.”
“More of a Corrie fan.”
“Has there been a Glenda in Corrie?”
“Years ago there was, before my time. Been a couple of Glendas, I think, just bit parts, you know, not famous characters or anything.”
“I see you write short stories. I write poems mainly. Not much rhymes with Glenda I expect.”
“Oh I don’t know. I once had a poem from Stephen Fry, he emailed it to me, I’ve still got it. I printed it off and laminated it and I read it now and then. He managed to rhyme all sorts with Glenda.”
“Stephen Fry, off the telly?”
“Yeah.”
“Oh.”
“I know. And I did my MA in Gender.”
“Gender Glenda? Oh, I like that! Oh look, here’s Sue, she’s the one who organized tonight. Hi Sue. This is Gwen”.

True Story

Yours truly,
Glenda – not Linda or Brenda or Glenys or Gwen.

Find out more about me and my books. Click on the image below:

Glenda Young books

I'm on twitter @flaming_nora

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...