Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Wednesday, October 02, 2019

Review of books I read on holiday 2019

Just returned from a wonderful holiday in the sun. While there, I relaxed and read a great deal. Here are the books I read with a little sentence or two about each one. 

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood




My most favourite book, ever, of all-time is The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. And yes, I loved the TV show, up to a point. That point being at which the book ended and the fiction of TV took over. I stopped watching then. The Testaments is a fantastic follow-up to The Handmaid's Tale. Enjoyed it enormously, so much so that I've started reading it for a second time. 

Can you ever forgive me? By Lee Israel




I know of this book because of the 2019 film starring Richard E Grant. It's the memories of a literary forger and the film is a lot of fun, sad too in places. The book is as sarcastic and witty as you'd expect. It's a slender book, a thin volume and you can read it in an hour or so.

Righteous by Joe Ide


The second of Joe Ide's books that I've read. Really enjoy his main character, the detective Isiah (IQ). Some of the violent scenes felt as if they'd been scripted for TV rather than prose but otherwise enjoyed this a lot and looking forward to his next book already. Particularly liked the vivid characters of IQ, Dodson, Cherise and Ruffin the dog.

Transcription by Kate Atkinson


The second Kate Atkinson book I've read but I'll definitely be reading more. Excellent characterisation, strong and gripping plot, fast paced action and an absorbing story.


Perfidious Albion by Sam Byers


Gulp. I never want to use social media again. Horribly, scarily true. Brilliant characters.

The Sea Inside Me by Sarah Dobbs


I know Sarah Dobbs. Everything I know about writing flash fiction I learned from Sarah Dobbs. This is the first time I've read one of her novels and it knocked me for six.  A strong storyline and wonderful, powerful prose.


I Just Can't Stop It by Ranking Roger with Daniel Rachel


And last but by no means least, one of the best musical biographies I think I've ever read. The Beat, The Selecter and The Specials were in the charts, on the radio, on Top of the Pops at the exact time I was getting interested, I mean really interested, in music as a 15 year old. I've had a life-long love of ska and reggae ever since. I can't recommend this book highly enough. RIP Roger.


-- 
Twitter: @Flaming_Nora
Facebook: GlendaYoungAuthor

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...