Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Thursday, August 18, 2022

5 Locations in A Mother's Christmas Wish


Would you like to know more about the locations I use in my novels? 

I hope that if you read the book, or if you've read it already, that these pictures might give some context and background and add a bit of depth to the locations I've written about.

A Mother's Christmas Wish is available in hardback, e-book and audiobook. You can buy it here. 

It comes out in paperback in November 2022.

1. The seaside village of Lougshinny in Ireland


Loughshinny is a small seaside village in Ireland, between Skerries and Rush. It is where the heroine Emma Devaney begins her story when she is forced to leave her beloved mother and her village. She is sent overseas to England to live with her aunt Bessie in Ryhope.  Find out more about Loughshinny here.

2. The Forester's Arms pub in Ryhope


Emma arrives in Ryhope in 1923. Now, I know the picture above isn't 1923 but it's the only old photograph of The Forester's Arms pub that I have. If you have an older one, I'd love to hear from you, do get in touch via my website at glendayoungbooks.com.  Emma arrives in Ryhope to begin work at The Forester's Arms. As well as Emma herself, the pub is also the star of this book.

3. Ryhope village farms


Action in this book takes place between the pubs on Ryhope's colliery bank and the farms building in the more pastoral side of Ryhope in 1923. This is a very old drawing showing animals on the village green and the farm buildings behind, many of which still stand to this day.

4. The Railway Inn

Watch out, Emma! She makes the mistake of heading to the Railway Inn the minute she lands in Ryhope. It's not a good move, for reasons I won't give away, but she may regret meeting the people she falls in with there.

5. The village green in the snow


As this is a Christmas book, here's a wonderfully snowy scene on the village green. The horse trough is at the left front of the picture and horses feature in this book, as does a great deal of snow. 

I truly hope you enjoy reading this book, I think it's my favourite so far.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant.I absolutely love reading about the real life inspiration behind the stories.I enjoyed the photo of the drawing of farm buildings,I'd not seen that one before

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...