Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Sunday, July 05, 2020

5 Locations in The Tuppenny Child


Would you like to know more about the locations I use in my novels? I hope that if you read the book, or if you've read it already, that these pictures might give some context and background and add a bit of depth to the locations I've written about.

The Tuppenny Child is available now in paperback, hardback, e-book and audiobook and you can buy it here

Here we go with my top 5 favourite locations in 
The Tuppenny Child   


Ryhope East Railway Station



Ryhope used to have two railway stations; Ryhope and Ryhope East. And it's the railway that brings the heroine of The Tuppenny Child to Ryhope. Sadie Linthorpe escapes a violent life in Hartlepool and arrives at Ryhope East train station alone, with no money. She knows no-one in the village. It's pouring down with rain when she arrives... and her new life and adventure begins.

The Railway Inn



The Railway Inn is one of two Ryhope pubs that feature in The Tuppenny ChildI was lucky enough to find the original floor plans for The Railway Inn when I was researching at Durham County Records office and discovered there were stables at the back of the pub. The pub plays a starring role in The Tuppenny Child and it's run by a woman, as a lot of pubs in Ryhope were, back in those days. I have Sunderland Antiquarian Ron Lawson's books to thank for a lot of the research on the pubs in 1919.

Ryhope Hall 



In 
The Tuppenny Child  Ryhope Hall is the inspiration for Ryhope Grange, where a family of some importance live. I don't want to give away any spoilers here so can't say too much about why I've included this in the book. Ryhope Hall no longer exists, burned to the ground in the 1950s. A row of houses stands in its place looking onto the village green.


The Forester's Arms



The Forester's Arms is the second of two Ryhope pubs which play a huge role in The Tuppenny ChildThe pub is also the scene of my favourite chapter in the book, where the Women's Christmas is held.

Hartlepool 



Although The Tuppenny Child is set in Ryhope, some of the action is set in Hartlepool too. I highly recommend a visit to Hartlepool headland and if you go there, follow the historic trail, it's really interesting.

The Tuppenny Child is available now in paperback, hardback, e-book and audiobook and you can buy it here 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...