Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Thursday, November 01, 2018

What a novellist does on publication day


Today - November 1st 2018 - is publication day of my first ever novel Belle of the Back Streets


The book is out in hardback and ebook today but not in paperback until March next year. I've therefore been advised to keep all major publicity on the low-down until the paperback is released. That's understandable of course, but still, I'm brimming with excitement here and it's got nowhere to go. Well, nowhere except for this blog post.

So what does a novelist do on the day of publication of their very first book?

Well, here's my day so far.

I woke up after midnight and lay still in bed, savouring the dark and still moment in the middle of the night. I'm an author I thought, before I went back to sleep.

I've now been to Aldi, bought myself a £3 bunch of roses by way of celebration. I ate two hot buttered crumpets to celebrate too.

And for the rest of the day as novel number one is let loose into the world, I'm sitting here writing novel three. What better way to spend the day than doing something that I love?

I'm unpicking the last chapter as I've written myself into a cul-de-sac that I've spent three days puzzling over. There's no easy way around it, I've got to pull apart the chapter and piece it back together carefully. I'll add scenes, more tension and a wonderful character who came to me last night. No more puzzling, just picking apart and then writing.

And then much later this afternoon I'm going out for tea at an Italian restaurant before heading to the pictures to see Alan Bennett's Allelujah on screen, beamed live from The National Theatre in London.

And tomorrow, I'll be writing again.

And that, my friends, is what this novellist is doing on publication day.


Find out more about me and my books at: Glenda Young Books

I'm on Twitter @flaming_nora and Instagram @flaming_nora

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...