Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Thursday, January 10, 2019

The People's Friend 150th anniversary party #PF150

Dancers from the Fly Right Dance Company at The People's Friend party

I've just returned home from a trip of a lifetime. No, it wasn't the Caribbean and I haven't been on a round-the-world cruise. I've been to Dundee.

Yes, Dundee.

It's a smashing little city with an enormous heart.

I was there at the invitation of The People's Friend magazine, it's the longest-running women's magazine in the world and I'm proud to say I write for them. The magazine celebrates its 150th anniversary this year and the birthday party was in full swing last night.


Along with many of the writers for the magazine, I was there last night, rubbing shoulders with the magazine's staff, illustrators, accountants and all manner of staff who work in the impressive, historic D C Thomson building.  Here's a photograph I took of the building before the party began.


And here's a little look inside The Counting Room inside the building, an area named after where the old finance department was based.



I'd guess there were a couple of hundred people who turned out for the party and it was incredible to finally meet the people I've been emailing for over three years.

My first short story was accepted by The People's Friend in December 2015 and published in spring 2016. Since then, I've had many stories accepted and they liked my stories so much that they asked me to write the first ever weekly soap opera in the magazine's history. What a privilege (and what fun!) it is to write. The soap opera is called Riverside and I now live with a small community of people in my head, all waiting for their turn on the page.

It was writing Riverside that gave me the courage and confidence to send my work to a literary agent and in 2017 I was taken on by the Caroline Sheldon Literary Agency in London. I've since been given a three-novel deal with publisher Headline. All of the novels are set in the north-east coal mining village of Ryhope where I grew up, on the outskirts of Sunderland.  The first of the books Belle of the Back Streets is available now with the second coming out in hardback this May.

Anyway, back to last night and that amazing party.  There were dancers who kept the crowds entertained, showcasing dancing through the decades from Charleston to Lindy Hop and Jive. It was fantastic, a real-life Strictly right in front of our eyes.

There were speeches too, from those at the top of D C Thomson and an emotional and wonderful speech from Angela Gilchrist, editor of The People's Friend.  Magazine readers were there too, a  lucky few who had won a competition to attend the celebration.

It was a very special event. I can't quite put it into words, which is odd for a writer, but I'm still feeling very emotional after the party last night. The People's Friend is a magazine that is a true friend to the reader, and to their writers too. My life wouldn't be what it is without them.

And no birthday party is complete with a cake (and delicious it was too!). Here's the birthday cake being piped in by the bagpipes... enjoy!

There will be many more pictures from The People's Friend's party in the coming days.

You can follow them on Facebook and Twitter and their website is here. 



Debut novel Belle of the Back Streets

Now out in hardback, audiobook and e-book
Pre-order paperback, released March 7 2019 

Kindle e-book just £1.99 

Website: glendayoungbooks.com

4 comments:

anne stenhouse said...

Lovely post, Glenda, and lovely to meet you last night. anne stenhouse

Jenny Worstall said...

Wonderful to read about this very special event and to hear the bagpipes too!

Glenda Young said...

Thank you Anne and Jenny. It was a very special night indeed and good to meet you Anne!

Unknown said...

What a lovely tribute to People's Friend. You were very privileged to attend such a wonderful occasion. Happy Birthday 150 People's Friend Magazine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...