Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Monday, July 30, 2018

Plotting and Planning for Novel No. 3


Today I spent the afternoon in the University library, of which I'm an alumni member. There are no students about, I had the top floor to myself. It was quiet and peaceful, just perfect for the task in hand.

From the two page synopsis I wrote to outline my third novel, I took the plot points and expanded each one. Then I scribbled onto post-its and finally, started sticking them down onto 16 pieces of A4. 16 pages for 16 chapters, which is where I like to head. At approx. 6,000 words per chapter that takes me, more or less, to the 100,000 words which I'll turn in before the deadline of February next year.

The next step is writing up the chapter plans, loosely embroidering some stitches around the framework I've created, but always knowing that things will - and should - change, as I go.

After chapter plans comes the writing, right? Wrong. First comes more thinking, more day-dreaming. What colour is my heroine's hair? What's her dog called... or should she have a dog? I need to see my characters clearly before I start writing and I'm not there, not yet. But I will be. Once the thinking and the dreaming and the characters settle deep in my mind, I know I'll be ready to write. But it won't be for a week or two yet. There's more thinking to do, as important for a writer as any other distraction  - well, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

I've done all my research now apart from a day's workshop at Beamish museum where I'm going to make my first clippy mat. And after that, the writing begins. I'll disappear into the study each day through the autumn as the weather turns cold. I'll write around Christmas, lost in my work. I'll surface in January and at the end of that month will have my first draft. It'll be rough and need smoothing but I'll have it in my hands.

I'm going on another adventure.

Wish me luck.


Find out more about me and my books at: Glenda Young Books

I'm on Twitter @flaming_nora and Instagram @flaming_nora

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...