Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Saturday, February 03, 2018

Farewell to the Ryhope Electric Grand Cinema


To Ryhope today, to the village I grew up in and spent most of my adult life. It's where many of my family still live too.  In the village itself is the Ryhope Electric Grand cinema.  I've only ever known it as a bingo hall as it stopped its working life as a cinema in the early 1960s. But I remember mam and dad saying they used to go to the Grand in their courting days.   Since it closed as a bingo hall it's stood empty, boarded up.

The Grand was built in 1912 and had its heyday in the 1950s.  That's why Beamish Museum are now offering tours of the building before they dismantle it brick by brick and move it to their new 1950s village.  It'll take 2-3 years before it's demolished and rebuilt a Beamish.  Let's hope they can keep as much of the original decoration as possible too.

At Beamish it'll be a working cinema, with films and advertising shown from the 1950s.







Find out more about me and my books. Click on the image below:

Glenda Young books

I'm on twitter @flaming_nora

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...