Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake - again and again

To the theatre this weekend to see Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake.

It's the 5th time I've seen it since 1999 and it was just as good as ever this time around.  Every time I've seen it over the years, it's been changed and improved in tiny, subtle ways.  At the theatre this weekend, the stage was so small that the 'ballet within a ballet' scene had to be split in two.  On the stage was the ballet within the ballet, and instead of another set on the stage for the main characters to watch, and react to the ballet, they sat in a box next to our seats in the dress circle. It was quite a treat.

Each time I see this fantastic show it's included a different male dancer playing the lead swan.  Nothing and no-one will beat the amazing Adam Cooper, who played the male lead when the show was first launched.  But Jonathan Ollivier in the current tour of the ballet is fantastic, and the best lead swan I've seen since Adam Cooper.  Jonathan is taller, stockier, a bigger unit of a swan than ever before and is absolutely mesmerising to watch. 

See more blog posts about Matthew Bourne ballets - I've seen every single one.
______
I'm on twitter @flaming_nora

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...