Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Sunday, November 03, 2013

Best of Belgium

I love Belgium, me.   

I've been to Brussells twice, staying in the rather splendid Metropole Hotel.


And have visited the following places in Flanders all once, for long weekends of eating, drinking and being a tourist - Mechelen, Ghent, Antwerp, Bruges, Leuven and Ostend.  From Ostend we took the tram to De Haan which was magical and my pics are on flickr here.

It's the quirkiness of the Belgian culture and people I love. Like the time we arrived in Antwerp in the middle of a cow-weighing competition in the main square.  And yes, there's a YouTube.

Or in Mechelen watching a parade where a doll - representing a baby - was thrown up in the air and caught in a blanket.  And staying in the brewery there, now that was really nice.


And in Antwerp again, in a local cafe watching them go wild, dancing to the organ - there's a Youtube of it here.

Or in Ostend, where there was Friday night tango in the park.


Anyway, as I said, I love Belgium, me. I feel at home there. I love the culture. I love the art. I love the huge portions of good food and the mustard that makes my eyes water. I love the beer and the chocolate.  And if it wasn't for the fact that the language is almost inpenetrable, I might just want to live there. 

If this has whetted your appetite, in any way, to learn more about Belgium, I heartily recommend Harry Pearson's book A Tall Man in a Low Land.  It's funny, easy to read and gives a great insight into what makes Belgium best.
______
I'm on twitter @flaming_nora

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...