Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Monday, October 26, 2015

Suffragette: My film review

To the flicks this afternoon to see Suffragette.  I had put off going to see this film because I thought a) it would be worthy, b) it would be dull and c) it contains Helena Bonham-Carter of whom I'm not fond as she tends to play posh dotty women (of whom I'm not fond).  But when the film turned up in The Guardian Guide this weekend as the No. 1 film to see, I had a rethink and took myself to the pictures today.

The film is stunning.  Right from the very first moment to the last, it's superb.  The acting, the costumes, the locations, everything is, well I can't keep saying stunning and superb but that's exactly what it was.  Even Helena Bonham-Carter played her part of a posh (but not dotty this time) woman to perfection and Meryl Streep made a too-brief appearance as Emmeline Pankhurst.

Anne-Marie Duff and Carey Mulligan are the stars of the film, their performances outstanding.

We know the history, of course, that Emily Davison died in the fight for the vote for women by throwing herself in front of the King's horse at the Derby in 1913.  This event takes us to the film's end and to Emily's funeral which is where the film turns from cinema to historic news reel, none of its power lost more than a century on.

When the credits rolled, I couldn't move. I was in tears and I had to wait until they subsided before I left the cinema. No one else moved either. The cinema was half full, and no one moved. We all sat together, shocked, stunned, in tears, watching the credits roll and pulling ourselves together before we re-entered the world.

I came out of the cinema upset but fired up. I wanted to throw stones, break things, fight for the cause. It's a film that has to be seen and I urge you to watch it.
______
I'm on twitter @flaming_nora

1 comment:

Tvor said...

And then you hear women that say they can't be bothered to vote! Boggles my mind. I always vote and always appreciate why I have that priviledge!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...