Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Sunday, November 23, 2014

How to make Christmas decorations from sea-glass

I've collected sea-glass for years and collecting it is one of my favourite things to do on the beach, apart from playing frisbee, eating ice-creams and plodging. Searching for sea-glass resulted in finding a post-Medieval rosary bead. But anyway, I digress. I collected so much of the glass that I kept it in a big bowl in the living room.

 And then I thought I'd have a go at making some Christmas decorations with it.  My lovely sister-in-law drove me to a craft shop in her fab car for a day out.


We went to Dainty Supplies.  It's something of a mecca for those who like crafts.

I didn't know where to start or what to look at and took sis-in-law's advice on what might work with glass to make it look festive. 

Here's what I bought for approx. £30 total. A glass bowl, some white LED lights, glass glue, red plastic beads, clear plastic baubles, clear plastic star shapes, clear plastic heart shapes.

I started by sorting my sea glass into different colours - mainly white, blue and green with some brown and a tiny bit of the much-hunted red. Then I sorted colours into shades.  Then I started sticking and glue-ing and that's where the fun began.

I was very happy with what I had accomplished (okay it might not look much to you if you're an experienced crafter, but remember this was my first time doing anything so artistic!).  I moved on from stars to hearts and used some of the red plastic beads I'd bought in with the sea-glass I already had.

Fortunately the glass glue dried clear so there were no embarassing tell-tale glue stains.

And now, with a bit of sparkle behind, here's how they'll look when they hang on the Christmas tree.

And the glass bowl I bought will contain all of the remaining sea glass with the LED lights inside it too, so it'll look something like this, below.


______
I'm on twitter @flaming_nora

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...