Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Saturday, June 22, 2013

The Glasgow Rose

To Glasgow this week for a day of artwork on the trail of Charles Rennie Mackintosh.

And what a day it was.

Starting point was The Mackintosh House at the Hunterian, University of Glasgow.  You'll have to take my word for it that it was as beautiful and gob-smackingly stunning as I'd hoped it would be, because we weren't allowed to take photos.  But my expression on seeing it all was something like this:


Then a short walk through Glasgow University's campus to the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum to see a collection of art and design by Charles Rennie Mackintosh and his wife Margaret Macdonald Mackintosh.   Again, no photos were allowed but it was stunning, absolutely incredible stuff and I looked a little like this:

Stop number three was the Scotland Street School Museum designed by Mackintosh and well worth a visit. This time, photos were allowed and so I took plenty.  All photos below are my own.






From there it was back on the subway to the jewel in the Mackintosh crown, the Glasgow School of Art with a paid guided tour that was worth every penny.  Taking photos wasn't allowed inside the building so here's one of the main entrance.  But, take my word for it that inside the building is well worth a look.

 
From there it was a walk to the Willow Tea Rooms but as we arrived only five minutes before they were due to close, we didn't take tea, or any photos.   Then onto The Lighthouse, home to the Mackintosh Centre but as it was just about to close, we didn't climb the Mackintosh designed tower for panoramic views over Glasgow. Not that I would have if I could have, mind you, as I'm frightened of heights.

Seven hours in a city with so much to see was simply not enough. A return visit to Glasgow is planned.

______
I'm on twitter @flaming_nora

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...